The community of Union Church, settled in 1806 and originally known as Scotch Settlement, was formed by a group of Scotch settlers who left North Carolina around for the promise of fertile farmland on the eastern banks of the Mississippi River. Gaelic speech survived quite a long time here thanks to the Scotch Presbyterians who made the area home.
Union Church Presbyterian is the third oldest presbyterian church in Mississippi. The first church building is a few miles from this location and services were held there from about 1810. The pictured structure (below) was built in 1852 and has survived and been a place of worship for many generations.